Stádlec Bridge - a structure listed for its technical excellence
Presently the bridge is the only surviving Empire style chain bridge in Bohemia. It is situated on the river Lužnice between Stádlec and Dobřejice. The chain bridge dates from the early 19th century and is listed for technical excellence.
It was designed by ing. B. Schnirch and ing. Gassner and constructed by Vojtěch Lanna between 1847-1848, spanning the Vltava in Podolsko. Before the Orlík Lake was constructed the bridge was disassembled and relocated to the Lužnice. 2,000 granite blocks with a total weight of 1000 tons and 1,100 steel parts which weighed 100 tons were gradually relocated from the valley of the Vltava to the valley of the Lužnice. Each piece was allocated a number to ensure that it got to the right spot when the bridge was re-assembled. Only passenger cars less than 2 metres wide can cross it.
Address / contact
391 61 Stádlec