Bechyně - a spa town
Striking about this town, established in 1323 by Jan Lucemburský, is its location on a promontory between the Rivers Lužnice and Smutná. At the turn of the 16th century the local castle was rebuilt and construction works continued during following years resulting in the complete transformation of the castle into a Renaissance chateau.
During the late 16th century the site was owned by Petr Vok of Rožmberk. The castle granary hosts a Museum to Vladimír Preclík, and the former castle brewery is the seat of a branch of the Aleš Gallery. There is also St. Mathyas Dean Church from the turn of the 14th century. The Church of the Assumption, located to the east of the square, ranks among late Gothic masterpieces in South Bohemia. In addition, the early Baroque Church of St. Michael is a precious religious structure. Bechyně spa has a long tradition; rheumatism and post-traumatic states are treated there; ceramic artefacts are something to be brought from Bechyně. Bechyně is connected with Tábor by a railway constructed by František Křižík in 1903. Trains have operated on this railway since the time when the first train set off for a ride along this track. Rides on a historic train (twice a year) rank among tourist highlights.